What dam liner should I use?
Excavating a dam and expecting it to hold water is wishful thinking at best. Depending on the ground you have excavated, chances are the material won’t be impermeable (definition- not allowing fluid to pass through).
Impermeable liners come in the form of:
- CCL (compacted clay liner)- where good quality earthen fill / clay is placed and compacted in lifts until a 1meter layer is achieved.
- GCL (geosynthetic clay liner) – a geotextile sandwich that encompasses a layer of bentonite, usually placed under 300mm of earthen cover.
- Geomembrane – a geosynthetic liner system that forms an impermeable barrier.
Dam liner choice is best determined by what natural resources you have available to you. If you have enough good quality earthen fill material available, a CCL liner could be a good option. However this type of liner construction also requires lots of earthmoving machinery and expertise to achieve an impermeable liner.
A GCL – geosynthetic clay liner system is great if you have earthmoving machinery and 300mm of reasonable earthen cover available (better result achieved if the earthen cover itself is imperious to some degree).
A geomembrane dam liner system is the most full proof system as you place the water directly on top of the liner system. You can easily identify if there is liner damage and repair it. A geomembrane dam liner can be installed anywhere as long as the sub-grade is a dry, smooth surface with no protrusions.
Contact Geoline for a chat about which dam liner system is best for you.
Dam Liner Preparation | Dam Liner Installation | Dam Liner Maintenance
Dam Lining Applications include:
- Dam and pond liners
- Floating Covers
- Turkey Nests
- Tailings Dams & Leach Pads
- Evaporation Ponds
- Secondary Containment Barriers
- Water reservoirs
- Canal/ Channel liners for irrigation
- Tank liners for concrete tanks
- Landfill cells and caps
- Fuel Bunds
- Hazardous waste bunds
- Cross country water horse jumps
- Wash down bays
- Rain Garden Beds
- Bioretention ponds
- Bioretention Swale Drains
- Underground tanks
- Treatment plant lagoons
- Snow making water storage
- Potable water lagoons
- Contaminated soil containment
- Ornamental ponds
- Farm / Market garden dams
- Aquaculture industry liners
- Agriculture industry liners
- Backyard ponds
- Gas Covers
- Baffle Curtains
- Effluent pond liners
- Processing facilities
- Skate park practice ramps
- Root barrier protection
- Waterproofing / Pool Liners / Spa Liners